I have finally returned to the United States. After a bus ride to Nairobi and then an evening in the Nairobi airport and then two long flights, one to London and then the next to JFK, I made it.
It's hard to believe I'm back. As for my last few days of Tanzania, they passed in a whirlwind.
On Monday night, I ended up staying at Paul’s Mama Mkubwa’s again. I think the most fun of it though was that I discovered that they had no money for food and stuff, and thus, dinner was my treat. We went to the duka and bought 50 cents worth of fish, which was a ton and then 20 cents worth of vegetable oil. It was funny in which we could communicate on so many levels as Stella and I burst out laughing when we saw how little twenty cents worth of cooking oil was. It was such a tiny amount that it could just sit in the palm of your hand. It ended up being enough though and then we then we had a yet another wonderful night. Junior, Stella’s baby, finally warmed up with me and we had a ton of fun. I’m definitely going to miss them.
On Tuesday, I ended up going to Nane Nane [8/8], which is a week-long festival for Farmer’s Day. It was fantastic as I got to see what appropriate technologies were being used in Tanzania. What I discovered is they had great technologies, but again, they helped the rich get richer. They were still missing that stepping stone to climbing out of poverty. I think the maize shellers that we developed at Global Alliance for Africa Vijana Centre will go a long way though. Joseph thinks he could sell many. I hope he does, and I look forward to what’s to come.
That evening, I departed Tanzania, which was unbelievably emotional, as I realized that it could be the last time I saw my Tanzanian friends. We exchanged emails though, so I hope that in some way, I will be able to keep in touch with them.
As for the wee hours of Wednesday morning, I had the pleasure of having the company of a journalist who I talked to for a bit and then a Ugandan 21-year-old who was on his way to Egypt. It was so much fun just talking to them, as the life of a journalist was fascinating and then the Ugandan had many experiences in that he had volunteered at NGOs, etc. What really got to me though was how he kept saying how much he loves children. I suppose he genuinely loved working at the orphanage in Uganda. It got me to thinking though, as I realized that I, too, absolutely love kids, at least the ones in Africa. I guess what I’m trying to say is there are so many things that I could do in Tanzania, so many opportunities. I just have to figure out my passion and go with it.
What I’ve discovered was that just changing a few people’s lives was really all that mattered. And by changing their lives, they can go on to change the lives of many others. It is my hope that I will one day be able to return to Tanzania and see the changes that have been made.
And now I’m on my way back to Boston. I can’t wait to see Bernard and Shaibu and all their projects! And of course, to see a bit of IDDS! I’m looking forward to it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment