Friday, August 1, 2008

More maize adventures!

To cap off the week, we decided to start building our second maize sheller, fully made in Tanzania. So, yesterday, Azizi, Paul, and I went into town, bought a hand shller and then got a chain tool. And then today, we built the mobile maize sheller. We basically finished it, but then at the final moment, our mounting system failed and we realized that our tire was flat. This failure was because the welding electrode we were using was made for steel, rather than for cast iron, which our machine was made out of. So, we said that Monday we would finish it up.

As for the end of the day, again we shelled lots of corn as we went to Azizi’s home yet again. Again, I had a ton of fun, having the corn flying everywhere but doing amazingly. I can’t wait to see what this machine does when I’m gone.

Here’s a bit of video…

[video to come soon]

And then we thoroughly enjoyed boboro [roasted corn which they fondly called popcorn]. Here’s Leyeyo in the jikoni [kitchen].

No comments: