Saturday, August 2, 2008

A trip to another world

Today I decided to move out of the Spiritan House. My stay ended up being way beyond my budget, so I decided to move out. It was definitely an adventure today, as I went to the Kilimanjaro English Medium School this weekend to talk to Evans, a teacher whom I had met a few days earlier. He wanted to know more about what my school was doing, so I was excited to go see his school’s graduation. The amazing aspect of the event was that here I saw the exact opposite of what I’d seen at Global Alliance for Africa. This school was definitely for the rich kids, and you could just see the wealth with the beautifully embroidered uniforms and walls painted with educational materials.

The children came from all over, even from places as far as Norway! It was phenomenal to see, and made me really the huge disparity between everything.

The next few days, I will be doing home visits yet again, I’m so excited as tonight I will be visiting home of Paul’s Mama Kubwa [literally, it means Big Mother, or eldest and most important aunt] and then tomorrow, I will be going to Joseph’s home. I am ecstatic about this, as Joseph’s family lives on a farm.

No comments: