Saturday, July 11, 2009

Groundnut Threshing

Today, the IDDS organizers presented our potential 18 projects, and we ranked our favorite projects. I ended up in groundnut threshing, which I’m so excited about. Not only will we be prototyping a machine, but we’ll be able to test it in the field!

My team includes Paul from Sierra Leone, Timothy from Ghana, and then the remaining 3 of us from the U.S. I think we’ll have a great time as a team. You should have seen us with our first team bonding activity, which was to make a comedy skit in which you had to act out how some celebrity would be greeted at IDDS. As we were assigned a cartoon character, we went with Spiderman, and it was absolutely hilarious as we did our Spiderman poses.

In Spiderman’s dramatic rescue of Timothy who had fainted from the exhaustion of IDDS, Paul injured himself as he was lifting Timothy from the ground. I hope he will be all right, especially since we’re leaving for the villages tomorrow. As a treat, we went to town to get Paul some typical local foods. We got him some fufu with grasscutter. Eating fufu was an experience.

Just to take you through the process, you are served a gigantic bowl of fufu, which looks like dough, drowned in the grasscutter meat sauce. The thing is…you don’t use utensils! So, you use your second and third fingers to cut the fufu, and then you pick it up with your fingers. The most interesting aspect, however, is the fact that you aren’t supposed to chew the fufu! You must let it slide down your throat. By the end of dinner, I was stuffed!

In the evening, we returned to serve Paul fufu in bed, which he thoroughly enjoyed. I’m looking forward to the events to come!

No comments: