Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Bernard and Shaibu return!

So, after a weekend of relaxing and getting things together, I was back to work, and it was absolutely wonderful to have both Bernard and Shaibu back. Suddenly, the shop was alive. I showed them a few bike furniture designs from the pedal power book, and suddenly, we had a chair before us.

And then today, we completed our chair with a matching loveseat. It was like I was living a dream. Students were crowding around to hacksaw a piece for the chair we were making, knife sharpening on the other end just to send sparks flying, grabbing the masks so they could watch welding in action, and then gathering around just to see the photo gallery of pedal power used around the world.

It was phenomenal. I feel as though things are just now starting to get rolling. For the next few weeks though, though the curriculum is basically set with what they will be learning as part of their welding course, I realize that as part of their curriculum, aside from incorporating appropriate technologies, I can create modules for principles of mechanics. What we get as engineers I can give them through demonstration, and I’m truly excited, as I am going to create labs that I would have loved to have when I was learning these concepts.

And so, I will keep you posted. I will probably bring out the camera for tomorrow so that I can give you some pictures of the furniture we made, but I must warn you, at the speed of internet here, I am unable to see the pictures that I post, so I apologize ahead of time. Until tomorrow, I will post again.

2 comments:

Grace said...

ahhh omg jodie = amazing

echung said...

wow jodie! this is amazing stuff! i'm definitely going to be reading up on this. good luck =)

-esther