After a delayed flight from JFK, a missed connection to Madrid, an excursion through the Metro, and finally a late train ride to Lleida, I finally made it. And amazingly, Amy Smith was there to welcome me at the door. Who would have thought people would be up past midnight?
So, I unfortunately missed the opening event, but I was there for Tuesday, as we went through intros and started our working groups of brainstorming new ideas for in-class exercises, film-based learning, and building community relationships. Over the past two days, we’ve also been fortunate to hear presentations on awesome projects such as TRAC Lab, Appropedia, Ventures, the new Appropriate Technology, and Build-It Modules.
Being here has been incredible for me, to work with people who are so dedicated to their work and to find people who are so committed to international development. If anything, the people here have passion. It’s been inspiring to be here. In some senses, it’s like seeing where I want to be, but fast-forwarding five years, ten years, even twenty years. Here are people who are developing or have already developed programs or businesses that impact the lives of people around them, and the best thing of all, is that everyone has come to gain something, to exchange ideas that help each of us grow as a person.
Tomorrow will be the true test, however, as we will be doing curriculum development. It is my hope that from this exercise, I will be able to take tons of in-class modules to the Global Alliance for Africa Vijana Centre. And perhaps, I will be able to form relationships with neighboring universities. After being here, I realize that there will be many challenges ahead, but I will take them head on.
More to come soon! The conference will be wrapping up on Friday, and then off to experience some more of Spain and then heading to Tanzania! I’m so excited!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment