Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Small World…confirmed

Today was a day of saying farewell to two volunteers, who were heading down to Johannesburg. And as luck would have it, one of the guys was from Cleveland. I thought I might mention the odd fact that I had randomly met an MIT Kenyan from Cleveland on my way to Nairobi, and he was like, oh B! And then the volunteer proceeded to talk about how B had lived in his house while he was in Cleveland. Yes, it is a small world indeed.

Now, there are only two of us mzungus (white people), or one mzungu and one mchina, remaining at the center, and believe it or not, we both hail from Atlanta. Sadly, Tait will be leaving in just two weeks, as she is going back home after three years with the Peace Corps. Teaching life skills and teaching with superb Swahili, she will be sorely missed.

As for my first day on the job, it was one of those first days. I met a lot of people, but I was unable to really get started as Bernard, the inventor at Global Alliance for Africa Vijana Centre was not there. What I gained from the day though is that I really need to learn some Swahili. I do know a few words though, as I tend to scare my new friends on my walk to the Dala Dala. They tell me that I speak too much Swahili for a tourist, though I only know about a dozen phrases. More than likely, though, I’ll get a tutor or find a fellow student to help me with linguistics so that I may be fluent by the end of the few weeks.

No comments: